A scaffold is a temporary structure used in the building, construction, maintenance, repair, and demolition industries to support employees, plants, and materials. Scaffolding can also be used for these purposes. The safety procedures for Scaffolds need to be followed. “scaffolding” refers to any platform that makes working at a height more convenient. An Engineer who is both qualified and competent is required to design the Scaffolds. The assembly, modification, and disassembly should be carried out under the direction of an experienced individual at all times.
- Single Scaffolding
- Double Scaffolding
- Trestle Scaffolding
- Steel Scaffolding
- Suspended Scaffolding
- Patented Scaffolding
- Cantilever Scaffolding
- Mobile Scaffolding
- Kwikstage Scaffolding
Single scaffolding, often known as bricklayer scaffolds, is a type of scaffold that is frequently utilized in brick brickwork. A single framework of standards, ledgers, and putlogs are included as part of the Single Scaffold protocol. They correspond to the wall at a distance of approximately 1,2 meters. There are between 2 and 2.5 meters between the Standards. At 1.2 to 1.5 intervals vertically, ledgers are attached to standards. The putlogs are placed at a preset distance of 1.2 to 1.5 meters and are withdrawn through an opening in the ledger’s wall. This sort is only appropriate for new brick or block construction.
Double Scaffold is commonly utilized for stone masonry work, thus its other name, mason’s Scaffold. This type of scaffold is typically more robust and offers superior support for the various building activities that take place. Creating support putlogs by drilling holes in stone walls can be a challenging task. Thus, two rows of standards are divided by ledgers to provide better support and strength.
The distance between the first row and the wall is 20 to 30 centimeters, while the distance between the second row and the wall is 1 meter. With the assistance of both frames, putlogs are positioned after that. Additionally, cross braces and rakers can be added later to strengthen the construction.
Trestle scaffold supports the work platform by tripod-style portable ladders, devoid of any standards, putlogs, etc. Up to 5 metres, it is often employed for inside tasks such as painting, simple repairs, etc. These varieties are equipped with wheels for mobility and portability.
Scaffold constructed of steel is composed of steel tubes and steel couplers that are joined together. It can be assembled and disassembled faster than others. The scaffold made of steel provides stability. It offers improved tensile strength as well as better durability and resistance to fire. Because of its superior durability, it may be utilized for greater heights. Steel scaffolds are more expensive, require more experienced personnel, and require periodic repainting to maintain their color and prevent damage. However, it promotes increased worker safety. It is one of the most prevalent scaffold types in use today. It is utilized primarily for outdoor construction and larger projects.
Using suspended Scaffolds, two or more platforms are suspended by ropes, wires, or chains from the building’s outriggers. U bolts should be used to secure anchor plates. Utilizing counterweights prevents overturning. It may be changed to the height or depth needed. When necessary, these scaffolds platforms can be shifted both vertically and horizontally. Suspended Scaffold is typically used for various construction and maintenance chores, such as painting, repairing, and window cleaning. If the possibility of falling objects exists, overhead protection should be provided.
Steel is used in the construction of patented scaffolds, which come prefabricated and are available for purchase in the market. Patented scaffolds feature specialized connections, frames, etc. Adjustable brackets support the working platform at the necessary height. These are easier to assemble and more practical for short-term projects like repairs.
Cantilever scaffold is also called “needle scaffolding” because the whole structure is held up by a single “needle.” Also referred to as Single Frame Scaffolds. Cantilever scaffolds has a restricted application and requires numerous inspections before installation. Cantilever scaffolds are simple to install and can support a typical worker and their equipment. In cantilever, the uprights are supported by a series of needles protruding through wall openings. Workers utilizing cantilever scaffolds systems are required to wear safety harnesses. In such cases, cantilever or needle scaffolds are used:
- The ground is inadequate or unfit to support the standards.
- When the terrain is adjacent to the wall and devoid of traffic.
- When building or repair of the upper portion of the wall is required.
- The maximum height for mobile scaffolds is 9.6 meters unless it is secured to a structure during usage, which may reach 12 meters.
- Mobile scaffold towers that stand on their own can’t be taller than four times the minimum base size.
- Wheels or casters must be constructed with sufficient strength and size to support the maximum load four times. All wheels must be equipped with a positive locking mechanism to secure the scaffold in place.
- To attach vertical members laterally, either cross-bracing or diagonal braces, or both, shall be employed. Cross-bracing shall be of sufficient length to automatically square and align vertical members, so assuring that the erected scaffold is always plumb, square, and firm. All bracing connections shall be made square.
- The entire width of the platform must be firmly decked, and the scaffold boards must be fastened against displacement. A guardrail is required to be installed on each of the platforms.
- The force required to move the mobile Scaffold must be provided as close to the base as feasible to support the tower during movement. Mobile scaffolds must be transported on flat, obstruction-free surfaces.
- The wheels or casters must have rubber or comparable durable tires.
- Workers are prohibited from riding on mobile Scaffold.
- All materials must be removed before moving the mobile scaffold.
- The employed movable scaffold must rest on a proper basis and stand level. Lock the casters or wheels to prevent them from moving.
- A mobile scaffold must comply with the applicable tube and coupler independent scaffolds provisions.
It is widely utilized for its safety, dependability, and adaptability. The quick-stage scaffold is simple to assemble. No professional training is required to assemble this type. Components of a Kwikstage scaffold can be utilized anywhere a conventional scaffold is. With its innovative interlocking mechanism, this sturdy scaffold device may be erected to any height without difficulty. The scaffold consists of several tubes arranged in a grid pattern. It is available in various materials, including wood, aluminum, and steel. It is the most sturdy, portable, and convenient Scaffolds available. They are also ideal for construction workers, painters, renderers, and other artisans that require secure access to any height.